Thursday, June 30, 2011

6/29 Class

I was a little skeptical about doing the skits/presentations again in class to discuss the articles we read.  I enjoyed the first class so much and felt like it was such a special experience and to do it again almost seemed liked trying to recreate the "lightning in a bottle".  I was wrong, yesterdays class was just as good, if not better than the first.  Although the skits and presentations are wonderful, I really enjoy hearing about every one's prop and why they made the connection from their story to their own life.  I think Chrissy did a phenomenal job explaining the Ebonics scenario with her high heels.  Great job everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I never really thought of Ebonics as a mere accentuation of the same language. When a foreigner comes to school, we try to reduce the magnitude of the accent, in an effort to allow such person for easier conversations with others in the country. Perhaps this does raise a question about whether or not we are trying to eliminate the accent. I don't think it does; I think it is for the sake of improving one's smoothness in conversation. When a person speaks in ebonics, we already know what that person is saying, so why is there a need to correct it? I shared this skit with a friend of mine who is a teacher; he was certainly impressed to hear about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you, Lizz. I had the same thoughts. Is it possible to enter into that very river twice? It turns that it is possible. I was impressed with the presentation of the last group. It was meaningful, creative, and sincere.
    My explanation to such successful presentation is following. We were introduced to yet another way to comprehend newly learned material. How often being even teachers ourselves, do we use the same methods of education? My answer is very often. Moreover, we are often satisfied with the results. We just should not use the same strategy continuously. That was happened in the class. It’s been for a while since we made our first successful “performances.”
    This method of “performance” or “prepared improvisation” (or it may have another name) is a part of self-reflection in studying. I have never learned and experienced “self-reflection” before. Therefore, it is very interesting and encouraging to observe myself as a student that learns in a new way. Moreover, as a student I do not just memorize (though some facts just stick in my mind), but I think, reason, personify, and create. It is quite an experience!

    ReplyDelete